Military News Articles from 8/2002
August 29, 2002
- As the anniversary of the 9-11 terrorist attacks on America draws near, on Pentagon hero's life has forever been changed in more ways than one -- some good and some not so good.
August 23, 2002
- Royal Canadian paratroopers bested a field of 42 teams from 12 nations here Aug. 17 in Leapfest, the International Military Parachute Competition.
August 22, 2002
- Last Friday marked the end of summer training at Officer Candidates School as 540 candidates from Echo, Golf and India Companies marched across the parade deck. These men and women will now return to their colleges to finish up their degrees.
August 20, 2002
- More rioting by communist prisoners of war resulted in crackdowns that left four POWs dead and 64 wounded, 50 years ago this week in Korea.
August 15, 2002
- New threats call for a new approach to defense and highlight the need to transform the nation's armed forces ''now'' Defense Secretary Donald H. Rumsfeld told the president and Congress in his annual report.
August 12, 2002
- U.S. forces conducted a ''cordon and search'' operation in Afghanistan, and forces detained three suspected al Qaeda fighters, Defense Department officials said Aug. 12.
August 08, 2002
- Two soldiers who were injured in one of five explosions that rocked the rural village of Klokot, Kosovo, last week, received Purple Hearts from U.S Army Europe's top soldier.
August 06, 2002
- Two separate incidents of bravery under fire this week led to posthumous awards of the Medal of Honor to a Navy corpsman and an Army paratrooper, 50 years ago in Korea.
August 05, 2002
- Safeguarding the geographic perimeter of the United States and the nation's transportation systems would be one of the main missions of the Homeland Security Department proposed by President Bush, according to White House officials.
August 02, 2002
- The U.S. military is constantly trying to find new ways to find and kill al Qaeda and Taliban terrorists, Pentagon spokeswoman Victoria Clarke said today during a briefing.
August 02, 2002
- Five soldiers were awarded Purple Hearts July 29, for wounds sustained in a firefight near Khost, Afghanistan, on July 27.
VA refinancing and complimentary VA loan pre-approvals so you can shop for your home with confidence.