Featured Military Articles
February 5, 2016
Talk about the United Service Organizations and people think it is some holding company. But mention USO, and all Americans know it is a way for them to connect with service members.
February 3, 2016
Keeping warfighters safe from infectious diseases and chemical agents is a Defense Department effort that requires a range of capabilities, from global biosurveillance and quick response to medical countermeasures and interagency and international collabo
February 2, 2016
President Barack Obama will award the Medal of Honor to a Navy special warfare operator in a Feb. 29 ceremony, White House officials announced today.
January 29, 2016
In a statement, Defense Secretary Ash Carter commended the Netherlands for its announcement today that its pilots will expand their current mission over Iraq to participate in coalition airstrikes against the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant in easter
January 27, 2016
- Defense Department experts who have experience working with the Zika virus have been asked to support the Department of Health and Human Services in its efforts related to the mosquito-borne disease, the Pentagon press secretary said today.
January 25, 2016
- Defense Department personnel and their families who plan to vote by absentee ballot in the upcoming presidential primaries and the general election in November should complete a registration application and request their ballots now, according to a Federa
January 23, 2016
- The 10 U.S. Navy Sailors assigned to Coastal Riverine Squadron 3 who were briefly detained by Iran Jan 12-13, returned to their homeport in San Diego last night.
January 21, 2016
- The Acting Secretary of the Army Patrick J. Murphy visited the troops for the first time, Jan. 20, since assuming the acting secretary position and confirmed as the under secretary. Murphy said Fort Hood stands out as a leader when it comes to helping Sol
January 19, 2016
- To make it easier for Soldiers to manage the vast tactical communications network, the Army plans to operationally evaluate newly enhanced and simplified network operations, or NetOps, tools during Network Integration Evaluation, or NIE, 16.2 this spring.
January 15, 2016
- July 16, 2015 was a Thursday as any other at the Navy Operational Support Center (NOSC) Chattanooga.
January 14, 2016
- Planning funerals for military veterans and retirees can be overwhelming for their families, and the Defense Department’s director of casualty and mortuary affairs wants family members to familiarize themselves in advance when possible to know what
January 13, 2016
- In his final State of the Union address to the nation, President Barack Obama said the United States is the most powerful nation on Earth.
January 12, 2016
- U.S. Naval War College (NWC) is issuing a 'call for papers' in preparation of its fourth annual Women, Peace and Security (WPS) Conference to be held at the college, May 17.
January 8, 2016
- More military service academy cadets and midshipmen this year reported instances of sexual assault and harassment, indicating growing trust in the reporting system, a Defense Department official said Jan. 7.
January 7, 2016
- The Pentagon has made a number of changes to the military decorations and awards program to ensure service members receive appropriate recognition of their actions, according to a statement released today.
January 4, 2016
- The chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff arrived here yesterday for meetings with U.S. commanders.
January 1, 2016
- In the hours before the clock struck midnight last night, the vice chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff was on the phone with two-person crews who were on alert in missile silos at the nation’s three intercontinental ballistic missile bases.
December 25, 2015
- Defense Secretary Ash Carter today called four service members taking part in U.S. operations around the world to wish them a Merry Christmas, Pentagon Press Secretary Peter Cook said.
December 24, 2015
- Walking up to the bus stop before school, young Chris Cowgill would usually find a group of kids already there.
December 22, 2015
- Thousands of U.S. service members and Defense Department civilians are serving around the world during the holidays to protect America, its interests and its allies.
December 21, 2015
- The Marine Corps Warfighting Laboratory/Future Directorate conducted a limited objective experiment, with 3rd Battalion, 6th Marine Regiment and 1st Battalion, 10th Marine Regiment, Dec. 3-11, 2015, aboard Marine Corps Base Camp Lejeune, North Carolina. T
December 17, 2015
- World War II veterans from the United States and Japan joined in silent prayer and poured bourbon whiskey into Pearl Harbor's hallowed waters during the Blackened Canteen ceremony in observation of Pearl Harbor Day, Dec. 6.
December 17, 2015
- Secretary of the Navy Ray Mabus announced today that the Department of the Navy will award the Purple Heart to the four Marines and one Sailor killed and the Marine injured during the July 16 attack in Chattanooga, Tennessee.
December 14, 2015
- U.S. carrier-based naval aviation returned to the region Dec. 14, as the ships and embarked squadrons of the Harry S. Truman Carrier Strike Group (CSG) completed a transit through the Suez Canal and entered U.S. 5th Fleet's area of operations.